background

Thursday, August 15, 2013

Book Review Thursday

Book Review Thursday:
I am an avid reader.   I think I have my parents to thank for this, as both had a love for books and read to us all the time.  I still remember my dad reading to us C.S. Lewis, The Princess Bride, and other classics.  He has a natural gift for reading aloud.

anyway---

I thought it would be fun every Thursday to write a little review on the books I've just finished this week.  

Book #1
A Father First: How My Life Became Bigger Than Basketball
by Dwyane Wade



So Mr. H actually picked out this book.  Go figure, I guess Dwyane Wade is a famous basketball star or something.  I had no idea.  But, one afternoon I was bored, so I picked it up.  What a great book!!!  I have been having some qualms with the way men are being treated lately that we don't need them, we're better off without them etc.  So I loved that Mr. Wade :)  made a case for all fathers and husbands out there.  His early story is remarkable, and it was eye opening for me at all the sacrifices that were made for him by his family.  I loved how he realized, that when he had his two boys, they needed him. They needed a father.  The custody battle was very, very long and his ex-wife did not want him in their lives.  But he knew how important it was that they saw him often.  I loved that he put so much on the line to be a DAD.  This was a very inspirational read.  

****
#2
Hunchback of Notre Dame
by Victor Hugo



This book has been recommended to me by my sister for a long time.  It's Victor Hugo, so you know the story will be good.  This was also my challenge read of the week: I got the unabridged version and it was very long, and a lot of it was in french.  As I was struggling to get through it, I ended up reading the plot synopsis on wikipedia to help me get a handle on characters and plot development.  First suggestion: Get the abridged version!!!  At least if you are like me, I did not care for the pages after pages of descriptions of Paris.  He really wanted to paint a picture, but some of it was way too long for me, and had nothing to do with the storyline.  Also: warning-very depressing book.  Unlike the Disney version, which I still felt was very dark, the book does not have a happy ending, or sweet themes through out.  It deals with some dark, heavy stuff and it made me very sad.  The story is really good though, and it makes you think.  I walked away with "How do I view people?  What do I value in my relationships?"  
***

#3
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
by: Rebecca Skloot



This book is for a book club in my neighborhood.  I thought it was really, really good.  It seemed like it was half and half---half story, half science.  I personally enjoyed the story, narrative part more than the science, but I felt I learned a lot.  I liked that I could read a fun, historical piece and learn about tissues, cancer and vaccinations.  I loved the truth and honesty that the author portrayed in the novel.  It made me think about ethics in medicine, and also the American plight.  It was a really good informational/fun read.  
****

*=not worth your time
**=ok, not recommendable
***=I'll recommend it, but I didn't enjoy it as much as I wished
****=I really enjoyed it
*****=Loved it! Everyone should read it!!!

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I'm sad you didn't LOVE hunchback, but I'm over it :) I really want to read the Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks.

    ReplyDelete