background

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Book Review Thursday #2


Not much to report here on the home front.
Baby C and I have had to stay inside for most of the week.
Boo.
We did head down to City Creek Mall the other day, and we enjoyed the Christmas decorations.
He was a great sport as I tried on red lipstick, Anthropologie dresses and perused Forever 21.  
Basically all the things Mr. H would not have had fun doing with me. :)

We also got to go to little brother O's band concert tonight.  
It was AMAZING.  He did such a good job. 
Baby C danced to all the songs and clapped dutifully.  He was awesome.

Since we have stayed inside most of the week
I have read a LOT.

It's not technically Thursday, but it's close enough.

Book #1
"Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card

Mr. H loves this book.  He wants to go see the movie, and I have this thing about needing to read the book before I see it on the big screen.  I'm not a huge fan of Card as an author, so I was a bit hesitant.  Fantasy/Sci Fi isn't really my thing either, but I decided to give it a go.  
The story is really sad and depressing.  I thought it was clever and had a good message, but the overall feel of the book was a little dark and violent for my taste.  I would recommend this book to thinkers. (Like MR. H)  It definitely was a social commentary, and I thought it was executed well.  
***

Book #2
"The Rithmatist" by Brandon Sanderson

So this was another book recommended by Mr. H.  It was in the whole fantasy/sci-fi genre again, and so I was very VERY hesitant.  But, I had a rainy afternoon, so I gave it a go.
I was impressed.  The story was extremely clever, and it had a really fun tone throughout.  There were a lot of diagram thingies which didn't grab my attention as much, but I enjoyed the story.  It was interesting, light, and fast paced.  This is a good one.
****

Book #3
"All But My Life" by Gerda Weissman Klein

This book was much more up my alley.  It was a holocaust memoir, and I was surprised I hadn't already read it.  I really enjoyed it.  It was from a female girl perspective, and I appreciated the happy ending.  I love seeing different parts of that war, and I thought she presented a totally new story for me. It wasn't horribly graphic, and I thought the tone was much more hopeful than some of the other holocaust literature I've read.
****

Happy Reading!


*=not worth your time
**=ok, not recommendable
***=I'll recommend it, but I didn't enjoy it as much as I wished
****=I really enjoyed it
*****=Loved it! Everyone should read it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment